Insurance & Other Products
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Medicare Supplement Insurance
- Auto & Home Insurance
- Office Overhead Expense Insurance
- Hospital Income Insurance
- Group Insurance for Medical Schools
- Group Insurance for Residency Programs
- Financial Strategies
- International Medical Insurance
- Medicare Part D
- Dental Insurance
- Calculate Quote
- Financial Strategies
- Physicians in Focus
- About Us
Physician Disability Insurance
As a physician, you know full well the cost of becoming disabled in America today. Traditional health insurance plans are vital, but can’t solve every problem, particularly when a medical condition keeps you from practicing. Help protect your future with disability insurance customized for physicians.
Until now, few resident physicians qualified for the disability coverage they need. Employers and insurers based coverage amounts on your current salary, not your future earnings.
With AMA-Sponsored Disability Insurance for Resident Physicians, physicians under age 40 can apply for up to $5,000 in monthly benefits – regardless of your current salary, debt or existing coverage amounts.
Resident Disability Insurance Plan Highlights
- Covers you in your own specialty, not just as a "physician." This means you are eligible to receive benefits if you’re unable to perform the duties of your own medical specialty – not just some other job in the medical profession
- Up to $5,000 in monthly benefits for Residents under age 40
- Portable coverage stays with you through your employer changes or if you become self-employed
- Physician-exclusive, own specialty disability coverage at the best possible rates
- Up to $200,000 in student loan repayments, if totally and permanently disabled before age 45
- Option to increase your coverage as your salary grows – with no health questions or medical exam
Competitive Costs for Insured Resident Physicians and AMA Members
As a physician, you're part of a large group of people nationwide, so you're not only eligible to receive exclusive offers for insurance coverage tailored to meet the unique needs of medical professionals, you also enjoy group purchasing power, which helps keep your cost competitive.
Resident physicians receive a 15% rate reduction for at least the first year of coverage. AMA Members receive a 35% reduction. Rate reductions are reviewed annually and have lowered the cost of AMA-sponsored physician disability insurance since 2006.
New York Life Insurance Company
51 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10010
On Policy Form GMR-FACE/G-30639-0
Under Group Policy No. G-30639-0
Physicians Also Purchased
Get up to $2 million in protection at a fixed rate for 10, 15, or 20 years.
Enjoy physician-exclusive savings on auto and home insurance.
Additional Resources for Resident Physicians
- 2017 Report on U.S. Residents Physicians' Financial Preparedness
- What Every Resident Physician Should Know About Disability Insurance
- 5 Essential Moves to Make in Residency